- Distance and near vision in both eyes
- Color vision
- Depth perception
- Eye teaming and muscle coordination
- Automated and Subjective Refraction (measurement for a glasses prescription)
- Corneal topography (maps of the surface of the eye, measures astigmatism)
- Eye pressure (glaucoma-related test)
- Pupil responses
- External and internal eye structures
To examine the back of the eye, our doctors can view the retina through a dilated pupil using the microscope and specialty lenses. The dilation drops relax the focusing muscles as well as make the pupil larger for 4-6 hours. In children 12 and under, a different formula is used to determine the need for glasses, as their focusing muscles are much stronger than adults. The “kids” formula can last up to 12 hours. If you’ve forgotten sunglasses, we will give you disposable ones at the end of the exam.
We offer screening retinal photos as an alternative to dilation for adults who do not have a history disease inside the eye, diabetes, or other symptoms supporting a dilated exam. You can read more about digital retinal images on our Advanced Technologies page.
Not sure if you should be dilated? At the time of your exam, our technicians or doctors will discuss their recommendation with you.
Why do they dilate my eyes?
Dilation gives a more extensive view of the internal structures of the eye. Times when dilation will be recommended rather than the screening photos include…
- Symptoms of flashing lights or new floaters in your vision
- Darkened or missing parts of vision
- Blurry vision that can’t be corrected or explained
- Diabetic annual exams
- A retinal disease history, such as macular degenerationv
- Cataract evaluation
- Small pupils (cannot obtain clear images with photos)
- 3 or more years since last dilated exam
All of the staff were very friendly and helpful, and they made a point to explain each part of the exam process so I could understand what was going on and feel safe in their hands. Hallie L.
Outstanding service! Professional and the Staff and Doctor covered all the bases! I love my Eye Clinic and will definitely recommend to everyone! Thank you! Barbara P.